Independent of the transport mode chosen, SABIC’s main interest is that our products are delivered safely to their destination, without causing any nuisance or harm to society or the environment.
To ensure safe delivery, SABIC:
- Uses only carriers that comply with industry approved safety quality systems, such as CEFIC’s SQAS program.
- Investigates incidents in order to prevent reoccurrence.
- Evaluates the performance of logistic services providers (carriers, storage suppliers) on a regularly basis.
- Shares ‘lessons learned’ from incidents with other companies.
- Actively participates in industrial initiatives to improve transport safety throughout the transport chain.
- Actively participates in governmental consultative bodies to improve the regulations concerning the transport of dangerous goods.
- Participates in initiatives of local government to keep the risk of the transport of dangerous goods within the socially accepted level, and, where necessary, to solve problems.
- Supports the local emergency response services in case of an accident, when asked.
SABIC Pipelines BV, based in Urmond (the Netherlands), operates pipelines for transporting naphtha (PAL), ethylene (ARG), and mono vinyl chloride on behalf of several chemical companies. These pipelines connect the ports of Rotterdam and Antwerp with a number of key industrial areas of Belgium, the Netherlands, and Germany.
From a safety point of view, SABIC prefers the following modes of transport to be used in Europe, in this order:
- Water (sea and inland waterways)
The choice between these modes depends on:
- The technical capabilities for SABIC in Europe and its customer
- Business and economical considerations
- Social support